December 11 – 11 Things What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life? (Author: Sam Davidson)
I like how this list goes to 11. ;)
1. Stuff. I don't need any more. I can eliminate stuff by continuing to go through what I have and donating or selling the things I don't use on a regular basis.
2. Overspending. I can eliminate this by taking a moment before I buy something, and doing the research to see if I can find what I'm buying for less elsewhere.
3. More nights at home. I need to get out and be in the world. I suppose that I would eliminate them by creating reasons to get out and meet people.
4. Depressed feelings. I'm not going to say I'm depressed - I'm not. I have depressed feelings now and again, and I'm usually okay with them and I try to enjoy them because I'm really a pretty happy guy most of the time. However, being out of work for 6 months this past year, I had some pretty low points. Nothing that lasted too long, but I was just mired in thoughts of not being able to provide for my family, and I was actually surprised by how deep the funks were. I suppose I could eliminate them by putting myself in a position to provide better for myself and my family.
5. I don't need to play less music. I need to play more. (Is it cheating to express things I'd like to do in the negative in order to have it fit on the list? :)
6. Internet. I spend a lot of time on the Internet. To wit, I still have a tab open with Gwen Bell's "Digital Sabbatical" post open, a couple of weeks after I first opened it with the intent of reading it and taking it to heart. How to eliminate Internet? Read the post & do it.
7. More e-mail. I suppose this goes along with Internet, but I need to take advantage of the "unsubscribe" links on a bunch of the e-mails I get. Right now one inbox is at 2383 unread, the other is 1156. When exactly do I think I'll have the time to read them? Eliminate by selecting & deleting.
I'll finish the list later if I think of more.
How will eliminating these things change my life? Probably by increasing my happiness and letting me spend more time with my family and friends.