Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Reverb writing #13 - Journey of a thousand miles…

December 13 – Action - When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step? (Author: Scott Belsky)
------------------------

I was going to start this with some b.s. about getting a job that pays more with room for me to grow in the company, but that's the stock answer.

What's my next step towards being more creative in my everyday life? Towards working with music? That's a good question. There are companies out there that do work in or close to the music industry, and I'm not just talking about record labels or radio stations. The site Beatport is located in Colorado, and I think that would be a really cool place to work, being around music and serving music to people who are also passionate about it.

I was talking to a recruiter the other day and was asked what my ideal job would be, and "music" came up, as it has every time I've asked myself that question or been asked that question since I was in high school. Why I'm not working in music in some way is a mystery to me. I suppose I have some stock answers - I'm not writing about music, because I'd rather be involved in the making of it. That I have a family to provide for, and radio isn't stable, or the record companies are located on the coasts, that music doesn't pay. But that's not really what it's about, it's not what I learned, and it's not what I want to teach my kids.

Ultimately, I want to work someplace where creative things are happening. I can be just as happy and fulfilled helping someone creative realize their ideas & goals as I can doing those things myself. Because being around creative people gives me the ideas and courage to be creative myself, whether it's writing or music.

What's my next step? Taking a step. That step. Any step towards that goal.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Sam. Tough balance between doing what you love and doing what ya gotta do to survive. I hope you find something that fills both needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's been a lifelong process. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.