Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reverb writing #30 - Quilt

December 30 – Gift
Prompt: Gift. This month, gifts and gift-giving can seem inescapable. What’s the most memorable gift, tangible or emotional, you received this year? (Author: Holly Root)
----------------------

When I first saw this prompt, I thought it would be difficult to think back and come up with a memorable gift.

When I sat down to write it, I remembered a gift I got this year that I declared probably the best gift I've ever received.

The gift was from my parents. My mom found the website for it, showed it to me, and I did the rest. Well, they paid for it, too.

This calls for another picture.

"The Quilt" is made up of music shirts of mine that I've acquired over the past 25 years. Many were shirts from concerts that I attended, and most of those I went to a while ago.

The shirts are from my favorite bands, or have special memories attached to them. Like the "Hit the sack with Zak" KBPI shirt I won in a call-in contest back in "the day". Or the Kids In The Hall shirt I bought at their show in San Francisco. They're not really music, but they are awesome.

Probably the best memory is the Late Night with Conan O'Brien t-shirt. See, the first year Conan was on the air, the show did a 9th annual college band search. We submitted a tape - I'm not sure which song we sent in. "Souvenir"? Anyway, after a while we got a package in the mail saying that we had been declared finalists, but didn't win. It seemed honest and not form-letter-y, and in the package were four navy blue shirts with Late Night with Conan O'Brien embroidered on them. I wore my shirt a lot, but stopped wearing it lately because I didn't want to wear it out. Putting it on this quilt was a great way for me to preserve it and see it a lot at the same time.

I had been trying to get this quilt done for years (and believe it or not, I still have a ton of shirts to make a 2nd or 3rd one), but never had a good way to get it made. My mom found the site - campusquilts.com - and we were off. They decided to pay for it to be made for my 40th birthday and while I received it after the day, it turned out better than I ever could have hoped, and I'll forever think of them and all those great memories when I snuggle up underneath it to get warm.

Which reminds me, it's 8 degrees F outside right now, and supposed to get colder.

Gotta go grab my quilt. :)

(Detail 1 Detail 2 Detail 3 Detail 4)

3 comments:

  1. Quilts are wonderful, both for the memories (we have a slew of them) and they keep you warm in individual style!

    Great stories in that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Mark. I'm looking to build many wonderful memories. :)

    Lots of great stories, at least 35. ;) (The top left & bottom right are the front & back of that shirt)

    Let me know, anyone, if you want to hear a specific story from a specific shirt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool gift. Unfortunately, any band shirts I had the past have long since worn out. I do have a few non-band t-shirts that I'm sentimentally attached to. I don't think they can withstand one more trip through the washing machine without disintegrating.

    Oh yeah, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.