Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reverb writing #7 - Us

December 7 – Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)
----------------
I'm a member of a few communities online. I don't always feel a part of my community offline, which is to say the town where I live. I defend it when nobody asks me to, and I'm unapologetic about where I live (it's not popular to live in the suburbs, you know).

Where I discovered community this year was at my work. I work at a school, and it's amazing the sense of community, camaraderie and fellowship that I get working here. School spirit has a  lot to do with it, probably. People are proud to be here, which makes me proud to be here as well. It helps that I've been well received and people seem to be happy to see me. It's easy doing the work that I do to be seen the hero, but it's even better to be seen as a friendly face. There have been days that I've walked in the building and felt that, yeah, this is where I belong.

The community I'd like to connect more deeply with in 2011 is the Denver/Boulder community. I have met a lot of people through twitter, and everyone's been incredible. I'd like to cement those relationships more during 2011 by just being out and with them more. It's tough sometimes, with my job, family and colitis, but I want to make it out more and be with the good people I've met.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I long for the day I can go to work and feel like "this is where I belong." Sounds like a good feeling. Right now it's more like, "What the hell I am doing here?" Denver/Boulder sounds awesome. Many of my online acquaintances are living in that part of the country. Wherever I end up at the end of my wife's job search, I look forward to digging in and finally feeling at home somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's been interesting. I really love where I work and what I do. Unfortunately, it doesn't pay all the bills. 80%, sure, but there's still a gap, and that's just to cover the basics, no savings, no car repairs, much less maintenance. Which is why I'm still looking. I actually was going to apply to another position yesterday, but my heart wasn't in it to leave this place, so I didn't. But I know I'll need to at some point to better provide for my family. There's no chance for me to go to someone and say "I'm really worth it, pay me more." Raises are doled out yearly, on merit, at a set rate.

    So, yeah. Pretty harsh tradeoff for me right now.

    Good luck digging in and feeling at home. Make sure that wherever your wife wants to end up that you feel comfortable there as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.