Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb writing #8 - Distinct

December 8 – Beautifully Different. Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all the things that make you different – you’ll find they’re what make you beautiful. (Author: Karen Walrond)
------------------
This is a difficult one for me, and I suspect I'm not the only one. I feel like we're trained to look for the beauty in other things and for so much of our early lives that "different" is "bad". I guess I was lucky in that I had parents that let me be who I was, but there's still that pressure to fit in when you're young. I've let go of that notion as I've gotten older.

One thing that makes me different is that playing music comes easy to me. Making up little tunes on the guitar or piano has never really been a problem. I don't remember them because I don't return to them and practice them, but I've known plenty of people who say they could never do that.

I think what lights people up is when I help them. I like encouraging people to be the best person they can be, and people naturally respond to that.

This one's short. I guess I'm having trouble seeing what stands out about me.

2 comments:

  1. I think what makes you different is that you listen to people. Just listen. You don't have a need to stroke your ego and talk at people. The ability to listen is a lost art these days. Would love to hear the little tunes on the guitar some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Michael. I guess I'm just interested in people. There's a lot to learn. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.