Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Driving and thinking.

People don't believe in ghosts, by and large, but they still think mind reading is possible.

Or maybe people do believe in ghosts, I don't know. I can't read their minds to see if they do or not.

This post is brought to  you by a couple of events. Last night, my older child asserted that she couldn't read my mind when I was trying to talk to her about something. I countered with stating that I couldn't read her mind either, that's why I was asking her questions.

Second event was this morning, driving to work. For some reason, I was telling myself that I knew why the people in other cars were changing lanes. "They must be turning at x intersection." "They're probably getting on the freeway." Why I was doing this, I don't know.

So instead of telling myself stories about why people were doing what and going where, I tried to just be in every moment as it came to me. I was unsuccessful, but at least I tried letting go of the stories I was telling myself.

But all that led to this wondering why we continually tell ourselves what others are thinking. "She probably thinks I'm fat." "He must think I'm a total idiot." I have given up on a lot of this type of thinking recently, and I have to say, my mind is much more at peace because of it. But I still play the game. My child's comments led to a bit of an argument and this morning I was telling myself what she might be thinking, or what she might do. I really had no idea, but I continued to tell myself the stories.

Which is why, when I found myself telling myself what other drivers were doing and why, I kind of realized I needed to take a step back. I don't know where this particular road will lead, but I'm interested to find out.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever noticed though, with the supposed mind reading, that you never think they are thinking nice things about you? We project our insecurities as what we perceive other people think of us.

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.