Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Who are you?

I was having a discussion with my wife last night about the identities that we give ourselves, prompted by life events but also a friend's discussionwith another friend  about weight loss recently.

I started talking about the observation that a loss is a loss - someone's loss of weight, someone's loss of a foot of their colon, the loss of a loved one. And I queried aloud what or who would I be if my colitis was suddenly gone? I've been "Sam the colitis guy" for almost 20 years. It has defined the majority of my adult life and shaped who I am right now. But what if that was gone? Who would I be then?

I don't know. I am who I am right now, and that guy who didn't have colitis is looooooong gone. I hope that sometime in the future I'll find out who I am without this (I have age 50 as some sort of magical line by which time a cure will be found), but it will be interesting indeed if that day comes to pass.

1 comment:

  1. I was fortunate in that my Wegener's got diagnosed early, before it had a chance to do serious damage. Prior to that, I didn't look any different (apart from the deformation caused by cartilage damage in my nose) but definitely felt old, thanks to the widespread joint pain! Today, I feel absolutely fine, apart of persisting sinus congestion, and the disease is in remission, although I will probably be taking medication for it for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete

 
All content ©2010-2011 Sam except where indicated.